Turn a simple piece of meat into something special. These simple marinade recipes take just a few minutes to prepare and can really transform meats on the barbecue. Stock up the freezer with your favorite cuts of meat such as chicken breasts, steak, pork fillets or lamb chops so that you always have a fast and easy meal on hand with the addition of one of these marinades. If there are any leftovers, thinly slice the meat and serve it with a salad or in a wrap the next day. Yum.
Rice Wine & Mustard
- 1 cup (240 ml) dry red wine
- 2 Tbsp. wholegrain mustard
- 1 Tbsp. tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. chopped rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Combine all ingredients in a shallow dish. Add beef or lamb, turning to coat and chill for at least 20 minutes.
Lemon, Herb & Garlic
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place the juice and oil into a large, screw-top jar. Add thyme, rosemary, garlic and pepper to taste. Shake to combine. Marinate chicken, firm tofu or mushroom caps.
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (25 g) rice wine vinegar (see note)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili (or sambal oelek)
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
Combine all ingredients in a shallow dish and stir well. Add beef or lamb and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- ¼ cup (25 g) Thai basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tsp. palm sugar
- 1 sliced small red chili
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
Using a mortar & pestle, pound the basil, fish sauce, palm sugar and chili. Stir through the sesame oil, lime zest and juice. Add fish, chicken, steak or prawns, turning to coat. Chill for 10 minutes. (Do not marinade for longer than 20-30 minutes or the citrus will start to cook the meat).
Honey & Soy
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. grainy mustard
In a shallow dish, combine all ingredients. Add fish, chicken, duck or prawns, turning to coat. Chill for at least 20 minutes.
If you liked this post, you might also like:
If you liked this post, please share it: