I love bacon and I love pasta so this soup was always going to be a favorite of mine. I will happily serve this to my family for a lunch or dinner as the combination of beans, spaghetti and vegetables means that this soup is wholesome enough to serve as a complete meal. I normally bulk the meal out with some crusty rolls or garlic bread.
Bacon, Bean and Noodle Soup
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
- 250 g (9 oz) rindless bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 400 g (14 oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 400 g (14 oz) tin borlotti beans (any white beans are good)
- 1 L (4 cups/400 g) chicken stock
- ¼ tsp. tomato paste
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 100 g (4 oz) spaghetti, broken into 4 cm (2 in) pieces
- 4 basil leaves, roughly torn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the oil in a heavy based saucepan on medium heat and add the bacon, onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the beans, stock, tomato paste and zucchini and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the spaghetti and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the basil then season to taste.
If you liked this post, you might also like:
If you liked this post, please share it: