One that you can prepare in advance, this delicious recipe is so popular with the whole family. It’s an all in one meal as it contains vegetables, meat and rice. I still like to serve this with a basic green salad on the side to add some color and get a few more of our “5 a day” in. The yummy tomato gravy cries for some crusty bread to mop it up so if you are not being carb conscious then go for your life!
Bacon, Tomato and Rice Baked Meatballs
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 600g (21 oz) lean beef mince
- 1 small finely chopped onion
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (75 g) white long grain rice
- ¼ cup (15 g) stale breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 lean, rindless bacon rashers chopped finely
- 400 g (14 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup (120 ml) beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup (45 g) coarsely chopped basil
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F (180C/355F if fan forced).
- Combine the mince, onion, egg, rice, bacon, breadcrumbs and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl.
- Shape into about 16 rissoles and place in a deep 2 litre (8 cup) ovenproof dish.
- Pour over the combined tomatoes, stock and tomato paste.
- Bake casserole, covered for 1 hour or until meatballs are cooked through and the rice is tender.
- Stir the basil into the tomato gravy before serving.
- Ssshhhh! You can sneak a ½ cup (50 g) grated zucchini or carrot into the meatballs without the kiddies knowing if you are trying to get them to eat more vegetables.
- Prepare ahead: You can make the meatballs and the tomato gravy in advance and store in the fridge however don’t pour the gravy over the meatballs until the last minute otherwise the sauce piles at the bottom of the baking dish.
If you liked this post, you might also like:
If you liked this post, please share it: