My mum introduced me to these Boston Baked Beans a while back and I now cook them on a regular basis for my family. They have a really distinct, delectable, rich tomato tangy taste.
These beans make a delicious breakfast treat served on toast and they are great served for a weekend lunch on grilled sour dough. We eat them mostly alongside barbequed sausages and a salad. Sausage and beans are a great match in fact that was one of my late grandfather Jack’s favorite food combinations so for me this dish makes me think of him looking down on us with a happy smile.
Boston Baked Beans
Ingredients (Serves 4 as a side)
- 150 g (5 oz) speck, cut into small chunks
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken stock
- 1 tsp. English mustard
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 x 400 g (14 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ bunch parsley leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set a large fry-pan on medium heat and sauté the speck and onion for five minutes or until the speck is golden and crisp and the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for another two minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, sugar and paprika then cook for one minute.
- Add the stock, mustard, molasses and vinegar and simmer for two minutes.
- Add the beans, then gently cook covered with lid ajar for ten minutes.
- Fold in the parsley, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve on grilled sourdough or toast.
If you liked this post, you might also like:
If you liked this post, please share it: