This old fashioned Chicken & Leek Pie is a warming and hearty meal that your family will be begging you to make again and again. The golden crunch of the pastry combined with the tastiness of the bacon and leek inside will have you going back for seconds. The recipe uses BBQ chicken so it’s quite fast to make. Serve a wedge of pie with a side salad or a selection of your favorite veggies for a complete and delicious meal for the family.
Chicken & Leek Pie
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 375 g (12 oz) packet puff pastry
- 1.5 cups BBQ chicken, shredded
- 2 leeks, finely chopped
- 3 rashers bacon, rind removed, finely chopped
- 60 g (2 oz) butter or substitute
- 15 g (1/2 oz) butter or substitute, extra
- 2 Tbsp. plain flour
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) chicken stock
- 3 tsp. French mustard
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 egg yolk
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C/390F.
- Heat butter in pan, add bacon and leeks, stir over medium heat until bacon is cooked but not crisp.
- Add extra butter to pan, stir in flour. Stir over gentle heat until combined then remove from heat. Stir in stock, mustard, mayonnaise, and pepper.
- Stir over medium heat until sauce boils and thickens, reduce heat,
and simmer 1 minute. Stir in parsley and chicken then set aside to cool.
- Spoon the chicken mixture evenly into a pie dish.
- Roll out the puff pastry onto a lightly floured board.
- Cover the pie with the pastry, pressing the edges with a fork.
- Trim off excess pastry with a sharp knife. Brush the top of the pastry with egg yolk and make a small slit in the top of the pie.
- Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the heat to 180 degrees C, cooking for a further 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top and heated through.
If you liked this post, you might also like:
If you liked this post, please share it: