Calling all mushroom lovers out there! This pasta is for you. I selfishly cook this pasta every few weeks due to my addiction to mushrooms. The family happily goes along as the dish is really delicious. The lovely light sauce and the combination of chicken, mushrooms and spinach makes this dish a warming, hearty meal, especially when served with crusty bread on the side to mop up all the delicious sauce. This recipe will be a big hit with children of all ages and adults too.
Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- 400 g (14 oz) orecchiette/ear pasta (or any other small pasta)
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 400 g (14 oz) mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium sized chicken breasts, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup (120 ml) chicken stock
- ½ cup (120 ml) light cream
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves chopped or ½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 3 handfuls of baby spinach, washed
- Grated or shaved Parmesan cheese to serve
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water according to the packet directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and oil in a medium frying pan on high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook the chicken for 2-3minutes until the outside is starting to brown.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the stock. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium. Add the cream and thyme and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, until the liquid reduces slightly.
- Stir through the cooked pasta and the baby spinach.
- Serve with parmesan.
- Keep a piece of parmesan cheese in the fridge to sprinkle on pastas and salads as required. Use a Microplane to shave or grate the required amount for your recipe.
If you liked this post, you might also like:
If you liked this post, please share it: