This Stir Fry recipe is an Asian spin on traditional spaghetti. The Asian inspired flavors work so well together and create a very moreish dinner. You can be quite flexible with this recipe and substitute the pork for chicken and add additional vegetables to make it an even healthier dish than it already is. Knowing that the red chili gives the dish a mild kick, I spooned out my children’s portions before I added the red chili for my husband and I at the end.
Chinese Pork Spaghetti
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 600 g (21 oz) of fresh Udon noodles
- 4 shallots (green onions) sliced on the diagonal into 2 cm pieces
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. peanut or rice bran oil
- 750 g (26 oz) pork mince
- 2 Tbsp. shaoxing wine (Chinese rice wine) or dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp. grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/3 cup (60 ml) hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp. chili bean sauce
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken stock
- Diced cucumber and coriander leaves to serve
- Finely chopped red chili, seeds removed
- Optional: extra vegetables finely chopped (see cooking tip below)
- Prepare noodles according to directions.
- Drain and toss with green onion and oil and set aside.
- Heat peanut oil in wok on medium heat, stir fry pork for 2-3 minutes until browned.
- Add rice wine or sherry and stir for 1 minute until evaporated. Remove pork.
- Stir fry ginger, garlic and remaining onion for 30 seconds.
- Add sauces and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Return the pork to the pan, add stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Serve noodles with meat sauce, chopped cucumber and coriander.
- Add in any vegetables you want to use up after step 7, i.e. finely chopped carrot or zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, bean shoots etc.
- Prepare ahead: Chop green onions, garlic, cucumber and coriander, grate ginger. (Store garlic and ginger together in fridge, store cucumber and coriander together in fridge, store green onions separately.)
- For more handy hints, read 12 Super Stir Fry Tips
If you liked this post, you might also like:
If you liked this post, please share it: