This is a staple in our household that we have at least 2-3 times a week as a healthy side dish. The ingredients can be chopped in advance and easily assembled while you are cooking the main dish. Every green salad that I make is different as it depends on what I have on hand and what I feel like on the night. It’s all about adding your favorite ingredients or using up things from the fridge that need eating. I tend to keep a few variations of fat free salad dressings on hand to put on the salad to keep the dish extra healthy. When I feel like a really special treat, I drizzle my favorite caramelized balsamic vinegar over my salad with a dash of good quality, flavored olive oil.
Easy Green Side Salad
- Washed and chopped lettuce (any variety) and/or baby spinach or rocket.
- Any of the following (chopped): tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, semi dried tomatoes, salami, prosciutto, red peppers, olives, jalapenos, cucumber, avocado, red onion, nuts such as toasted pine nuts or cashews or slivered almonds, grated or shaved cheese (any variety – we love shaved parmesan and crumbled goats cheese), carrot, celery, mushrooms, corn kernels and chickpeas.
- Toss all ingredients in a salad bowl or assemble the ingredients on the side of the dinner plate.
- Just before serving, add the salad dressing and top with cheese if desired.
- Don’t cut the avocado until the last minute to avoid discoloration.
- Remember that sometimes less is more. Try different combinations (i.e. spinach, salami and sun dried tomatoes or mixed mesculin lettuce with cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and avocado). By doing this you ensure a varied diet for the family and it reduces potential boredom from eating the same salad night after night.
If you liked this post, you might also like:
If you liked this post, please share it: