This colorful salad is always a HUGE hit. The balance of flavors with the sweetness of the currants and the saltiness of the soy, combined with the distinctive sunflower oil and crunch of the nuts is sensational.
Serve it alongside your meats with a green salad or take it along as your contribution to a picnic or family BBQ. It’s really good the next day too so if there are any leftovers, I will serve it as a side dish the next night too.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 ½ (150 g) cups uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 (35 g) cup currants
- 1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions (shallots) finely chopped
- ½ cup (50 g) chopped parsley
- ½ cup (50 g) toasted cashews roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dressing: ½ cup (120 ml) sunflower oil, 4 Tbsp. soy sauce, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 clove garlic crushed, salt and pepper.
- Cook the rice, drain and leave to cool.
- Mix the currants, spring onions, capsicum, shallots, parsley and cashews with the rice.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar. Just prior to serving, drizzle the dressing over the rice salad and mix well until the rice is coated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Don’t pour all of the dressing on as you may not need it all. Stir through half first and add a little more and keep stirring. You don’t want to drench the salad but you do want all the rice to be lightly coated.
- If you are taking it to a picnic or BBQ, make all components the day before but do not pour the dressing on until just before you leave.
If you liked this post, you might also like:
If you liked this post, please share it: