A good old fashioned tomato pie recipe that is great when you want a slightly different side dish. You can make it ahead of time and bake it in the oven when you are preparing the rest of your family meal. The cooking time is quite forgiving so if it stays in the oven for a bit longer than the stated cooking time then that’s no problem. I tend to make this recipe when I have a few ripe or over-ripe tomatoes that need using up. The crunch of the breadcrumbs on top adds some lovely texture to the soft cooked tomato and onion mix.
• 6-8 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped, not sliced.
• 2-3 large brown onions sliced.
• 2/3 cup (40 g) coarse fresh bread crumbs, brown or white.
• 50 g (2 oz) butter chopped into small pieces . Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Mix the tomatoes and onion in a greased shallow pie dish.
3. Add pepper and salt to taste.
4. Spread the breadcrumbs over the top.
5. Dot the breadcrumbs with the butter.
6. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until golden brown.
If you liked this post, you might also like:
If you liked this post, please share it: